In The Shed: Hafco Metalmaster AL-336D DELUXE Centre Lathe
High quality, heavy-duty and fully spec’d, the floor-standing Hafco Metalmaster AL-336D DELUXE Centre Lathe (Order Code: L682D) is suitable for general maintenance and small production workshops.
The fully gear-driven headstock, with hardened and ground gears, is perfect for quick changes between the 18 spindle speeds ranging from 65 to 1810rpm. These are selected via gear levers mounted at the front of headstock, with an inching button incorporated on the control panel for added convenience. In case of emergency, there’s a foot-operated spindle brake with safety cut-out switch.
Designed to meet ISO standards, the D1-4 camlock spindle system is ideal for quick chuck changes and safe reverse direction turning. Adjustable taper roller bearings support the spindle, which has a 38mm bore and accepts 5MT attachments (the tailstock takes 3MT attachments).
The AL-336D metal lathe is powered by a 1.5kW (2Hp) single-phase 240V motor. It retains optimum operating temperatures thanks to a coolant pump system.
A precision-ground, induction-hardened 180mm bed incorporates rigid webbed casting. Overall turning capacity is 300mm (swing over the bed) x 900mm (distance between centres). A removable gap bed-way facility features a 450mm swing in gap for larger-diameter jobs. Cross slide travel is 170mm, while compound slide travel is 75mm.
This Hafco Metalmaster lathe has powered longitudinal and cross feeds with a range of speeds selected on a separate gearbox:
● Cross feed range (X-axis) = 0.009 - 0.236mm/rev
● Longitudinal feed range (Z-axis) = 0.04 - 1.2236mm/rev
A 2-axis digital readout on a separate panel is connected to scales mounted on the machine and allows work to be turned out accurately, right down to 0.01mm. It can be set up to display in either metric (millimetres) or imperial (inches).
The AL-336D DELUXE model features thread cutting facilities in metric and imperial measurements with a reversible leadscrew:
● Metric thread steps and pitch range = 32 (0.4 - 7mm)
● Imperial thread steps and threads per inch range = 36 (4 - 60tpi)
The thread chasing dial provides easy re-engagement of the leadscrew in the correct position (NB - the thread chasing dial is designed for imperial measurement only).
Fitted as standard is a chuck guard with safety interlock switch, rear splash guard and a concertina cover guarding the leadscrew. The chuck and change gear guards have micro switches built in. A slide-out swarf tray at the front of the machine can be removed completely for easy cleaning.
In addition to the aforementioned specifications, Hafco’s Metalmaster centre lathe is supplied with a big range of standard accessories, including:
● 150mm(6") 3-jaw self-centring chuck with reverse jaws
● 200mm(8") 4-jaw independent chuck
● Face plate and dead centres
● 5 to 3MT reduction sleeve
● Fixed steady and travelling steady
● Change gears for metric and imperial thread cutting
● Quick-change tool post with four tool holders
● Toolbox with maintenance tools
● Dual calibrated dials (except for saddle hand-wheel)
● Enclosed quick-action gearbox for thread cutting and auto feeding
● Low-voltage work light